Thursday, December 20, 2007

Fun Facts about Christmas Music!

I fell in love with Christmas music and the smell of tires at the same time.

Every year my parents would go to Goodyear Tires and buy snow tires. With those snow tires came a free Christmas LP! Though they also offered a free Christmas LP at Firestone. But we got our tires at Goodyear. Oh the horror of having to choose your tires based on who was on this years Christmas LP. Lucky for me, my dad worked for an automotive parts store and had connections. (strangely, when I recently had to go buy new tires for my car, just the smell of all those new tires took me back directly to my childhood and memories of sitting in the waiting area for my dad to get off work so I could get a ride home.) Regardless of where we purchased our tires, or how many tires we purchased we got all the LP's available. Is it an early indicator that I would turn out gay that I was the one begging my father to hurry to Firestone before they ran out of LP's?

So I fell in love with the King Family Singers, Doris Day, Julie Andrews, John Davidson, Mahalia Jackson and wide variety of singers at a tender age.

I was going through my Christmas music in itunes. Of the 1800 songs I have under the "Holiday" genre I was stunned to find some fun facts.

There is one song title that I have 58 versions of. Take the poll on the side and tell me which one you think it is.

Here are the top twenty songs in my Holiday list by virtue of how often they claim to have been played. That play count is not for the week. It's from whenever I added the song. Kinda sucks to be the new kid on the block. How will poor Josh Groban ever catch up?
Still interesting to know what apparently gets played a lot for the the holidays at me house. Again this is the top 20 out of 1800:
  1. Oh Come All Ye Faithful by Julie Andrews 56 plays
  2. The Bells Of St. Paul by Linda Eder 54 plays
  3. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear by Julie Andrews 51 plays
  4. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Darlene Love 50 plays
  5. Cool Yule by Bette Midler 49 plays
  6. Medley: Jingle Bells/Sleigh Ride by Henry Mancini 48 plays
  7. Jingle Bells by Natalie Cole 48 plays
  8. Mele Kalimaka by Bette Midler 47 plays
  9. Sleigh Ride by Billy Gilman & Jessica Andrews 45 plays
  10. Christmas Trumpets by Ray Anthony 45 plays
  11. Sleigh Ride by The Ronettes 45 plays
  12. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas by Linda Eder 43 plays
  13. Let It Snow by Michael Bublé 43 plays
  14. Sleigh Ride by André Kostelanetz 42 plays
  15. We Wish You A Merry Christmas by Booker T. & The MG's 42 plays
  16. Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer by Chris Isaak And Silvertone 42 plays
  17. Little Bright Star by Diana Ross & The Supremes 42 plays
  18. Jingle Bells Cha Cha Cha by Pearl Bailey 42 plays
  19. It Happened In Sun Valley by Randy Van Horne Singers 42 plays
  20. Do You Hear What I Hear/The Little Drummer Boy by Vanessa Williams 42 plays

1 comment:

Rachel V. Olivier said...

That's why we bonded! My mom ALSO worked in an auto parts store when I was growing up. Nothing like the smell of diesel to take me back. Send my campfire and YMCA candy to work with her to get sold. It was a NAPA store, so not sure where our Firestone LPs came from, but I know we had a few.