Tuesday, April 07, 2009

We're baaaaa....aaaack....

We have returned. Though we should have been home Sunday night around 7, we got home about midnight. Delays leaving Paris, delays landing in Dallas, slow to clear customs... same old, same old.

As we walked through the door to home I turned to Lyle and said, "I've been up 26 hours now!" Though probably not as chipper as I thought it would come out. Lyle slept 8 and half hours of the ten and half hour flight home. I watched 5 movies.
  • Vicki Christina Barcelona: Billed as a comedy, I never actually laughed. Still waiting for the plot to make a point and it's been two days.
  • Burn After Reading: Another "comedy" (though this one I put quotations marks around) I not only did not find it funny, I found it gross and it gave me a bad dream later. Here's a tip to budding film promoters, IF SOMEONE GETS SHOT IN THE HEAD AND BLOOD SPLATTERS ALL OVER THE SET, IT IS NOT A COMEDY. Oh, and the movie had absolutely no point.
  • Bonneville: I watched it to see what Jessica Lange looks like older.
  • Bolt: Thank goodness I didn't know it was John Travlota voicing the dog or I would not have enjoyed it as much as I did. Now that I know, I like it less. But it was still very good. Damn.
  • Yes Man: I don't care for Jim Carey movies normally, but this one was not nearly as annoying as it could have been. There seemed to be a light hand on the mugging. It was fine.
So I may take some time to get things organized around here. Though my body is getting up nice and early, between 6 am and 7 am, my brain seems to still be sleeping in a different time zone.

9 comments:

Peter said...

Welcome home! From your previous post I could see [and read] you had a "Bon Voyage".

KT said...

Burn After Reading is only a comedy in the same way Fargo was, IE very VERY black comedy. I liked it, the utter train wreck of a plot was part of it's point, but then I really love the Coen Brothers' stuff and I can't say this jumped out to me as a Jim movie. :)

(Also, the shooting got me as well, it's really harsh. I don't think we're meant to laugh at that.)

Oh, if you liked Yes Man, try the book it's based on, by Danny Wallace. It's a true story as well, and while I've not read that one in particular, the stuff of his I have seen and read has been really funny and interesting.

S.B. said...

First, let me say "Welcome Back". I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures.

Second - I watched VCB only to see if P-Cruz deserved the Oscar. And to my dismay, I actually think she might deserve it. Although, I missed the last ten minutes of the movie (damn wine made me fall asleep), so I have no idea how it ends. But I agree, I have no clue what the point is.

Third - Burn After Reading was DEF not a comedy. Even if Brad Pitt does some weird dance moves.

Fourth - you really liked BOLT because Miley Cyrus was in it. Don't lie.

Fifth - um...that is all, I just like things in groups of 5.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Have you poked your nose outside lately?

Michael Guy said...

"BURN AFTER READING" er, WTF? Yes, I get the 'black comedy' thing...but still someone gets shot point blank in the head. I didn't see that coming at all. ish...

Get your rest, dollface. You know how jetlag creeps up days later...

dit said...

Welcome back! We've missed you, city just isn't the same without you. 8-)

The T-Dude said...

Welcome back. What did you think about my home state of Iowa when you heard the news?

Carolyn said...

The pictures are beautiful. Almost makes me want to get on a plane and go to Paris. (ALMOST) But why go when I can hear all about your trip? You take better photos than I do anyway.
What do you have against John Travolta?

Christopher said...

You better still be in bed resting...Loved all of the Paris pics & stories...next time, please consider smuggling me. I can be very bendy if the motivation is there.