Thursday, February 25, 2010

Olympic Fever hits home

I've got my team outfit on, these white pants are horrible to keep clean in the rain and snow!
(psssstttt, that's me on the left!)

You've probably noticed I've been not here lately. I've been watching TV. SPORTS on TV to be more specific. I'm getting an average of 12 hours of Olympic coverage recorded to my DVR every single day. NBC has cleverly mixed the things I want to see with things I don't want to see. Even to fast forward through every single hour of recorded events would take an hour or more just to get through 12 hours of broadcast coverage.

But I manage. I just don't have time for anything else, like writing a blog, reading a blog, cooking a meal, or doing any work.
Mikka represents, G-Oh Canada!

I've even gone so far as to go out in public and watch a sporting event in a bar. Canada vs. USA Men's hockey, at a British pub in Santa Monica. Hunkered down with 30+ rabid Canadian sports fans. I had the fish & chips, they were delicious.

Lyle and I have watched as the world turns the focus on Vancouver and I have been very sad that I am not there taking part in all the festivities. I feel a proprietary ownership over Vancouver. I grew up an hour south of Vancouver, just inside the American side of the border. I spent the summer of 1986 at the Vancouver Expo and we lived there for year in the middle of our California lives. Every time they show a street, a landmark, an aerial shot from the Goodyear Blimp, I go, "I should be there! I know that street! I used to have coffee there!" and I get crazy in my head.

My dad has a phrase, "Everybody complains about the weather, but no one ever does anything about it." So I'm doing it. I'm changing the weather.

By the time you are reading this, I WILL BE IN VANCOUVER.

I found a cheap flight. I bought my ticket. I've got a place to stay. And I've got friends willing to sell me their tickets to the CLOSING CEREMONIES. Look for me on the television, I'll be in row, "Holycrapthatsclosetothecieling, Section J, seatZZZ"!!!

3 comments:

A Lewis said...

That is the coolest thing ever! What a once-in-a-lifetime experience. (And thanks for the music on your site.)

Michael Guy said...

OMG! HAVE a blast!!! Take lots of pictures! x o

jason said...

fabulous! Win a medal for us in Hermes.
(that's got to be a sport, right?)