Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Remember Memorial Day Weekend?

I went to the store this weekend and saw the peonies and knew right off I did not want to pick them up. But Lyle was there and he did. When we got home I cried a little and told him why peonies bother me. I thought, "I should write that on my blog..." then realized I already have. Then I started to wonder if every year was just a great big "Groundhog Day" movie, where I just do the same things over and over and over and over again...

Nothing much happened this weekend. The whole house seemed tired. We all slept in late one day or another. Everyone took a nap one day or another. The biggest project of the weekend was laundry with Lyle getting out the iron (can you believe that was an exciting highlight?). But then when your Thursday or Tuesday are exciting it is nice to have a boring weekend.

I felt as if I'd eaten so much in the last few weeks that what I really wanted was some nice light food. For dinner on Monday night we had crab legs and a green salad.
You can't see them, but shopped up in the salad was our first harvest of green beans from the garden. I think there were 10 beans. Without turning over the whole yard to bean farming it seems like there is never really enough all ready at the same time to have a side dish. So they just get rolled in to some other part of the meal.

And since it was Memorial Day Weekend, I rolled out my white pants. I know, I know, that you already know that I seem to have given up on so many rules of white wearing. I wear white flip flops all the time. I own a white leather jacket. I even wore these white shorts to Disneyland in the rain last week before Memorial Day:
But my final hold out on the rule of wearing white only between Memorial Day and Labor Day is still white pants. So I was very excited to break them out and wear them all day Monday. Even though the weather didn't agree.

8 comments:

Michael Guy said...

Nice stems you got there! Runner?!

Le sigh. A simple meal of crab legs and green salad. That 'simple meal' here translates to PB&J sandwiches.

A Lewis said...

Michael is right...I could only with for those handsome "after Memorial Day" legs. And I have powerful memories of Peonies too....taking them to my grandparent's graves on Memorial Day in a huge old galvenized bucket filled with water.

Christopher said...

J'adore white pants/shorts with white flips.

I never took you for a peony person anyway...you're more of a lily man (white stargazers) I'm thinking...and don't doubt me...I am the Flower Whisperer.

Jim said...

I love my legs. I was once invited to a party (okay, it was in London and it was for Boy George's birthday) and the invitation read, "Dress code: If you've got it flaunt it" And my response was, "What am I supposed to do, wear a Speedo and a turtleneck?"

Rachel V. Olivier said...

I really liked your mom's peonies. Beautiful and sad.

Hey! Nice gams!

The T-Dude said...

Can't you wear white all year around at Disney? Isn't that part of the happiest place on earth bit? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

My adventures said...

In the South, it's acceptable to wear white after Easter! As kids, we always got new white linen suits to wear to church in New Orleans for Easter Sunday and then to Brennan's for Brunch and then home for croquet. That's the 2nd time this week I've heard Memorial Day for the time to wear white and the other was from the West Coast too. Is that a West Coast rule? It's also probably regional, it's so hot and humid in the south by Easter! So, if you come South before Memorial Day, you can bring your white!

TheHMC said...

I forgot about the white before Memorial Day rule. Then again, is that surprising considering my past faux pas of jelly sandals(I'm on the lookout for some pictures of them, by the way).

And, seriously, the picture of you at Disney is too awesome and priceless for me to even comment on.