Sunday, August 03, 2008

Burger, Burger, nummy-nums

I get all sorts of notices in my email telling me all the "hot" things to do in this city. At the most, I look into about 10% of them and then whittle that down to less and less. It's a lot of PR and junk with a few golden nuggets thrown in to keep me coming back for more. What can I say I am picky.

When I was bombarded by no less than four different trend spotting emails that a "hot" new burger place had opened right around the corner from me, I immediately thought, "Someone has paid a lot of money to get the word out. I hate that." and decided to not run right in.

But after a few weeks passed and a couple of friends (who live literally spitting distance from the place) raved about it, I caved in.

8 oz is the new restaurant by Govind Armstrong in the same space as Govind Armstrong's old restaurant Table 8 (which is apparently reopening somewhere else). I did like going to Table 8, but it was a bit pricey so it got saved for special occasions and it got trendy so it got harder to get into. Then it did all sorts of strange open/closed/open/closed things and I gave up on even trying. There are lots of other nice restaurants that I don't have to check in with before I head out the door to see if they are open. But enough of that, let's talk about 8 oz.

8 oz was TASTY. Lyle had the sliders and suds. Three mini burgers, lamb, beef and wild boar paired with three different California micro-brew beers. All delicious. We also ordered french fries and onion rings which were both very good. All the sauces for the burgers is made in house and that includes the ketchup. Impressive. I also ordered the fried capers tarter sauce to go with my fries. At $1 a side it isn't too pricey and the way I like my sauces, I'll order two next time.

But the most exciting part for me was getting closer to my queen of daytime talk shows. I ordered the short rib grilled cheese sandwich that Gayle King flew out to Table 8 to have and then they brought Govind back to the Oprah show to make it for her on the show. (Are you there Oprah? It's me, Jim!) Though Table 8 restaurant has moved, the grilled sandwich has stayed behind. I have to say, I am now dreaming of that grilled cheese sandwich. It's taking a hold of me like that burrata cheese a few weeks ago. Oh my god, would it be wrong to go back there two nights in a row? I must have that sandwich.
If you can't get to my neighborhood, here's the recipe on Martha Stewart's website.

Oh, and for dessert we had the chocolate ganache cinnamon s'mores tart with a side of in-house made ice cream. Oh my god. That tart. So delicious... Screw it, I'm going back tonight, I WILL POSSESS THAT SANDWICH!!!

7 comments:

jason said...

Well, thank you very much for infecting me with a lust for that sandwich now too.
I'll have to replay the video obsessively and imagine.

martin said...

You will just have to go out on the bike more often !.

My adventures said...

that sounds incredible!

Jules said...

Looks uber delish!! MMMMMMMmm... should have eaten supper cuz you just made my tummy growl...

The T-Dude said...

Oh my...that does look good.

Carolyn said...

I know it's just my food issues talking, but the PICTURE of that sandwich makes me feel guilty. Imagine how I'd feel if I actually ATE it. Shudder. I now feel an incredible urge to work out.

KT said...

Oh god, that looks and sounds so good... but there's a whole OCEAN in the way. D: