Wednesday, December 07, 2011

White Christmas

Countdown to Christmas 18 days

White Christmas, 1954

Well who doesn't love this movie? It would be like saying you don't love It's A Wonderful Life, it would mean you have no heart. The movie is full of classic moments. I love the kitsch of Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen singing "Sisters".


Which is immediately outdone by Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye lipsynching the same routine.


Sentimental schlock and missed communication follow. with my favorite tear filled scene coming near the end where all the vets who served under the general converge on his Vermont Lodge for Christmas. (Where did they stay? Who fed them? Where are their families? Did they all get drink and go carousing into town later? Never mind...)


And then the BIG finale where the walls open up to reveal the winter wonderland outside. That would be SO COLD!


Who cares, it's gorgeous, it's on a sound stage, and now all my Christmas moments where I dress in red with white fur trim are going to pale in comparison. At least I can still fit an orchestra in my living room for my Christmas singing. Hey, wait a minute...

1 comment:

A Lewis said...

That's odd, because just this morning I called my very own sister....and SANG her this song on her voice mail....out loud, in the car. Gladly. I love it!