Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Birdie num num

I found some bird seed in an old costume bin. It was wrapped up in an old pair of pantyhose and into a fair sized ball. For the life of me, I can't remember what that would be for... But I knew I didn't want to keep it around to attract rodents. I took it outside and made an offering on the Buddah. Feed the birds, tuppence a boob.

In no time at all I had my first customer. Many, many customers all of them camera shy. But I liked the little twitter sounds they made all over the yard and I decided I wanted a bird feeder. Or as Lyle called it, "an old lady bird feeder."

So I took him to the store and let him pick out the least "old lady" styled bird feeder he could find. I didn't care what it looked like. But I did want to make sure it was for smaller birds as we have very large crows that eat Burger King garbage in our front yard. I didn't want to attract any of that to my back sanctuary.

We also got one that featured a slick roof that moves slightly to prevent any squirrels from climbing down the chain and feasting on the seeds.

I guess we need to hang it somewhere different.

Here's our orchid plants in full bloom in the back of the yard. They are stunning and the only secret I can tell you for growing them is to live in Southern California, place them in fairly shady location, water infrequently and completely forget about them. It's working for us.

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

I think you should just keep on putting the bird seed in Buddah's lap. That would be the least "old lady"-ish bird feeder ever, don't you think?
Oh, and it snowed yesterday. On April 1st. No foolin'.

Michael Guy said...

That frickin' orchid would retail for $500 here! And you, betch, have it growing like a weed??!!! Me jealous. Again.

Love the birdseed notion. Being nice to animals and all that. To quote Carrie Bradshaw "Squirrels are just rats with better wardrobe" or something like that. But, hey...they have to eat, too.

And why do I see you dressed at Tuptim from "The King and I" feeding the birds???

The T-Dude said...

Those well-dressed rats are super slick at getting into bird feeders. If you can hang it, they can get in. I even tried a shepards pole coated in axel grease and they still found a way in to our feeder.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Watch out for grasses and grains growing below the feeder. Some of the seeds will fall out and you'll have a little field of barley, etc down below. It's no biggy if you're casual about the weeds, but it may get on your nerves if you're not so casual about the weeds.

The T-Dude said...

Yean, that can be interesting. But think of it as your own private bird sanctuary with native plants and cover.

Anonymous said...

I really love the picture with the bird looking up at the Buddah.... I really want a Buddah statue now and bird seed, except I think it would give my kitty's a new place to stalk prey...hmmm ;-)

dit said...

What great photos.

My adventures said...

great orchids!! i had a bird feeder once until i realized all the poop they left behind... i had a free standing one in the yard and it took a week or two for a white ring to form on the grass around the bottom of it... then it hit me... they eat, they poop... then i realized they weren't like us and didn't have separate rooms for those activities... ha!!