Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Heatwave indeed

There's a fire in Griffith Park. It seems to be a biggie.

While at the gym tonight, about half the people working out had stopped and were staring at a television I couldn't see from my vantage point. I guessed it must be some big sporting event (that's why I'd have no clue what it was) but it turns out it was coverage of the fire.

This is the second fire in Griffith park this year. The first one was on the North side of the Hollywood Hills behind the Hollywood sign. It spread West and North.

This one seems to be on the East side of the Park and is spreading East and South.

They've evacuated the zoo as a precaution.

I called Lyle from the gym and told him to check in on Ophelia and her family. They live West of the fire. She told him things seem okay for her but that they had packed up a few things and loaded them in the car 'just in case."

Of course we offered to host them here if needed. Picture it if you can, Jim, Lyle, Lola and Cooper with Ophelia, Matt, Becca and their three dogs. Well, you do what you have to.

Seriously, if need be we'd totally manage (Ophelia, the offer still stands).

When we took the dogs out for their walk tonight you could see a large well lit cloud over the park. Very sad.

5 comments:

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Yeah - I heard Dante's Park is gone now. They say it's 40% contained. But so much has been destroyed. It will take years to get the park back to what it was.

Jim said...

I thought you'd be able to see it from your windows...

Rachel V. Olivier said...

I thought I could, too. When I looked last night, though I couldn't see anything. This morning, there was a pretty sherbet colored haze that kind of darkened later on to light gray.

Jim said...

Much like our hair...

Rachel V. Olivier said...

*snort* I love your meez! I woke up this morning and couldn't breath. Damn/darn fire season.